How to Purchase
Locate a Distributor
Make a Request
Become a Distributor
Need to Know
Product Compliance (printable)
Protective-corrective spectacles include three major components consisting of the frame, lenses and sideshields. A different manufacturer generally produces each component of the device. Individual components may be designed to perform different protective functions and may require various types and degrees of testing.
Glass lenses shall be capable of resisting the impact of a one inch diameter steel ball dropped from a height of fifty (50) inches and shall not fracture as a result of the test. Impact resistance in glass can be achieved by subjecting each lens to heat treatment or chemical treatment and are considered basic protection.
CR 39 hard resin plastic lens shall be capable of resisting the impact of a one (1) inch diameter steel ball dropped from a height of fifty (50) inches and shall not fracture as a result of the test. Prescription lenses are exempt from penetration testing requirements, as they are destructive in nature, and are considered basic protection.
Polycarbonate lenses shall be capable of resisting the impact of a ╝ (.250) inch steel ball fired at 150 feet per second and shall not fracture as a result of the test procedure. Polycarbonate prescription lenses are rated high velocity impact resistant and are exempt from penetration testing, as it is destructive in nature.
REMOVABLE LENS MARKING
Each prescription lens shall be permanently marked with the manufacturers monogram. High impact lens will carry a ô+ö after the monogram. In addition, if other than clear, each lens shall be marked with the shade designation such as 2.0 for green, V for photochromic or S for special purpose lens for other filter type lenses.
HIGH VELOCITY IMPACT TEST
PURPOSE. This test in intended to ensure a level of protection from high velocity, low mass projectiles. The projectiles used for this test are .250 (1/4 in) diameter steel balls.
TEST APPARATUS. The test apparatus shall consist of any device capable of propelling a steel ball reproducibly at 150 feet per second.
FRAME TEST. For the purpose of this test, frames shall be equipped with 2mm polycarbonate test lenses.
- The protective device shall be mounted on an Alderson 50th percentile male headform in the manner in which the device is usually worn.
- The head form shall be capable of being rotated about a vertical axis through each corneal vertex in 15 degree increments, from a first firing position 15 degrees to the nasal side of straight-ahead-viewing out to 90 degrees temporally.
MARKING. All major spectacle components except lenses shall bear a trademark identifying the manufacturer of that component and shall be marked ôZ87ö or ôZ87-2 to indicate basic or high impact level of compliance.
- For the High Velocity Impact test, no contact with an eye of the headform is permitted as a result of the impact.
- No parts or fragments shall be ejected from the frame that could contact an eye of the headform.
- Frames shall be capable of resisting impact from a 6.35mm (1/4 in) steel ball traveling at a velocity of 150 feet per second.
SIDESHIELDS. The new standard requires that all sideshields be High Velocity Impact Tested at three specific locations, all being 10mm behind the corneal plane of the eye:
- 1st impact, 10mm posterior to the corneal plane, on center line.
- 2nd impact, 10mm posterior to the corneal plane and 10mm above.
- 3rd impact, 10mm posterior to the corneal plane and 10mm below.
MAINTENANCE AND CARE
- The testing is performed on a compliant basic of high velocity frame test platform.
- Acceptable results. No contact with an eye of the headform is permitted as a result of the impact.
- No parts for fragments shall be ejected from the sideshield, which could contact an eye of the headform.
Eye protectors should be cleaned frequently with mild soap and water only.
Cleaning agents containing alcohol and other chemicals can weaken polycarbonate resulting in premature failure.
Inspect the complete protector for pits, scratches or crazing and replace when any of these conditions exist.
Patent No.5,748,278,6,393,609 B1 and others